Her birthday can be an event in the game.. The player can give her the Deck of Cards, Bug Spray, or a MedKit. The best option is the Deck of Cards. If the player runs low on supplies and doesn't give her Water Bottles or Soup Cans, she will run away into the wasteland and become a highway woman, meaning she will be considered dead.
She can also become a mutant when bitten by a Spider or if the player doesn't clean the puddle of green goo with a Boy Scout Handbook or the Gas Mask . This means she will not require Water Bottles to survive, but she will require more Soup Cans as a result. The best strategy for once she becomes a Mutant is to send her out every time it prompts the player to send out a family member with nothing, and give soup to her the day that she returns before sending her out yet again. She also becomes immune to Sickness, Tiredness , Insanity, and becoming Injured.
Mary Jane is slightly chubby and has black hair like Ted. Her hair is styled in a ponytail. She has a baby blue shirt, a dark blue skirt and brown shoes. When a mutant, she has purple skin and has rips in her clothes, and her limbs will appear unevenly proportioned in size. When insane, she will pose like a chicken and stand on her seat (not when tired). Mary Jane's 3D model shows her playing a tuba outside the shelter and she sometimes makes a tuba sound.
- Mutant Mary Jane eats very often, requesting Soup every day, even after being fed, and demands Soup shortly after if not fed.
- She is the worst scavenger of the 4 main characters. She can easily get lost and only brings back a small amount of supplies each time, if any.
- She is one of the two items to take up 3 slots when scavenging (the other being the Suitcase).
- She is also the only item to take up 3 slots when scavenging which was added in the soft release of 60 Seconds.
- When insane, she can destroy the Axe, the Radio, a Can of Soup and the Flashlight.
- She is the only character that can turn into a mutant.
- In a balance update, the chance for Mary Jane to become a mutant was decreased.
- She is the character that has least resistance to insanity. It is possible that it's because there's too many events that heavily damage her sanity.
- She becomes the most useful character when she is a mutant because she cannot be killed or kidnapped by the raiders or bandits during scavenging, as she always returns safely. She can also drive away bandits that attack you, being very helpful.
- If Mary Jane turned into a Mutant, on a day, there will be an event that has you talking to Mutant Mary Jane. No matter what dialogue option you choose, she has a high chance of leaving the shelter.
- Even if mutant Mary Jane was in the shelter with other one member, that member has a chance to get Insanity, because she is not a very social character (confirmation needed).
- She is one of 3 characters that can really age in the game. The others being Timmy and Ted.
- Sometimes in the journal a drawing of her playing a tuba is seen (this one might the same one that she plays in the scavenging section of the game. The most frequent time this drawing can appear is in the thunderdome event.
- There's an event which happens if Mary Jane is not rescued: Mary Jane comes to the fallout shelter claiming that she hid inside a refrigerator to survive the nuke. This is a reference to Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull where Indiana Jones hid inside a refrigerator to survive the explosion of a nuclear test.